Monday, August 3, 2009

WEEKEND AT THE ALPACA FARM

I was lucky this weekend and had the opportunity to take care of the farm. It is beautiful there and it restores my soul - it makes my life better.




A welcoming committee greeted me at the door. Don't they look excited to see me? Okay, okay, don't knock me down - I've got groceries. Really, settle down there now.

I love chores at the farm - yes, even scooping poop. It rained this weekend and the poop got heavier by the minute. But, take a look at what alpaca poop can do to a sunflower!!












I love it when the dogs and cats follow me down to the barn to feed the alpacas. "Come on, let's go feed the girls."

Oh, please don't tell me you aren't up on the latest in farm fashion. Really! You're really not going if I wear these muck boots?

I love the barn. It is warm and smells of sweet hay, barn wood, and warm breath. Look what I found behind the hay bin. There must be 10 or 12 new ducklings.












Let's face it. How can you not fall in love with these beautiful faces? They are gentle creatures that bring a gentle calmness into my life. Look at those big eyes.
Did I hear a rooster? You bet! Sometimes he gets cranked up at 4:00 a.m. A little competition with the other rooster to see who can be first, I guess.



A good day ends sitting on the porch swing with a good book and waiting for nightfall. You can hear the ducks and the chickens settling in for the night as the katy-dids belt out their song in the cool evening breeze. Somewhere in the woods an owl is hooting and a dog barks in the distance.

Over the blue mountains of Georgia the sun puts on a colorful display as it disappears behind the hills. What a good day!! Can't wait for tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment