Tuesday, August 25, 2009

KNIT-TO-FELT



What fun to knit and then felt items. All it takes is hot water, agitation and beginner's knitting skills. This hat was made with alpaca yarn that I bought at a local yarn shop. I knitted the pattern, and no, it's not for an elephant. It has to be that big to allow it to shrink to fit a human head. I put it in the washing machine in a pillowcase and washed it with hot water. It took a couple of times to get it small enough - BUT WATCH OUT, it will shrink up really small if you don't check on it periodically. When it's the size you need it to be, shape it and set it out to dry. And VOILA, a hat!

It can be worn with the brim turned up, the brim turned down, or the front up and the back down.


I also knitted a purse to go along with the hat and felted it in the washing machine the same way - lots of hot water and agitation! I can't wait to use them this Fall.

5 comments:

  1. I love this hat and purse - but best of all is the first photo of you drowning in that huge hat! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I had no idea knitted hats had to start out that big to be felted!

    ReplyDelete
  3. did you use a special pattern for the hat? I never know just how big to start out. Love the stripes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a REALLY good illustration of the knit to felting ratio in a hat (different fibers, knitting tensions, patterns, and other factors affecting the ratio but the general idea) . . . . . I really love how you show it, and the humor of it too, heh!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that first picture (why did you even bother to felt after that? Just cut some eye holes! ;o) But seriously, I have always wondered just how you figure out the shrinkage because there seem to be so many variables to consider! (My main experience with felting is throwing wool sweaters from the thrift store in a hot wash and dryer and seeing what comes out)

    ReplyDelete